Monday, February 20, 2012

a little this... a little that...

Hi guys, how was your weekend?

Mine was okay eating wise. I’ve discovered a new favorite meal – quite by accident – sautéed mushrooms and avocados. I was at a friend’s house and they were sort of making a build your own spinach salad for dinner. So on the table was baby spinach leaves, cooked chicken, sautéed mushrooms, avocado, and feta cheese. But the avocados and mushrooms looked so good I really just stuck with a bit of those two – and OMG – so good!! I had a bit of feta on a few bites and that was good too – but gorgonzola would have been even better. I have a bit of a gorgonzola fetish if you didn’t know that about me.

I drank lots of alcohol though in the past several days. I’ve been doing things that somehow trip the “this is an unusual event” button in my brain which says – I absolutely should have a drink with this… which is of course no problem… except for the fact that it just isn’t an unusual event so it shouldn’t be tripping that button in my brain. Don’t get me wrong, I like to drink. I’m a big fan. But in general, I really don’t drink all that often. Probably less than once a week, though certainly some weeks it’s way more than that. But recently I’ve been drinking something several times each week and while I don’t mind that in general – it’s really just adding calories for no good reason to my life. I’m all for getting a nice buzz here and there, but I just don’t have to have as much as I’ve had recently. Really – right or wrong – I usually do drink for the effect. I love a good buzz. But… I find in the last few months I’ve just been drinking because it seemed like the thing to do – because the “this is an unusual event” button got tripped. So… I’ve decided to get over that.

The same “this is an unusual event” button was getting tripped a lot recently related to eating as well. I found myself eating out a bit more often and instead of just ordering a salad or some other nice and healthy thing, I found myself thinking… oh this is a special occasion, go ahead and splurge a bit. But…. It’s not a special occasion – or something unusual, it’s just my life these days and I need to calibrate that button in my brain differently. I think just realizing that the button was not working correctly will be enough actually. I’ll just have to have a few meals out and make sure it’s working as it should now. My friend C is coming to have lunch with me tomorrow so I’ll get to test it out then.


And… guess what people… My MIL is coming on Wednesday. And as I’m sure I’ve mentioned, the husband is leaving on Sunday for most of the following week. He’s back in the wee hours of Friday early morning (Thursday night) so I get her all to myself for nearly a full week. I’m so excited!!! Yippee!

3 comments:

Gilly said...

Hilarious! I was just about to write almost exactly this post. Minus the MIL nightmare. However...I think I will still write it...with props to you!

Theresa said...

I know....me too!

Sandy said...

Can't wait for more MIL stories. Take pictures too!

And I guess I'll just have to drink up yours and Gilly's allotment of drinks that you two are no longer drinking. Geesh. And I've been able to eat at home/make my own stuff at least 90% of the time. Two years ago that was eat out 75% of the time. But I didn't drink as much wine then.